Sunday, February 21, 2010

Catching Up

It's been a long few weeks here at our home....

We had the trip to Maine. My nephews were both sick during that time, and Katie was on the tail-end of a cold (or so we thought). The hubby got sick the following week. All the kiddos at daycare were sick. Katie's cold was lingering. I got sick. Then this past Tuesday, Katie's daycare provider called me at work to tell me Katie was running a fever of 103.6. So, off to the doctor we went. We returned home with a diagnosis of an ear infection, and a prescription for antibiotics. Poor girl. We've never seen her so sad and hurting. All she wanted to do was be held by one of us. Of course while we love snuggles and cuddles with our sweet girl, we don't like it at the expense of her not feeling well. The good news is that with a dose of antibiotic and a good night's rest, Miss Katie was back to her happy self the following morning. I wish the same could be said for Mom.

Thursday afternoon my week long sinus issues moved to my right ear. Two hours before work ended, my ear was completely plugged, and I couldn't hear much out of it. When I went to bed, it was the same way. I awoke at 3 am with horrible pain in my left year, and it too was clogged. After 20-30 minutes, the pain went away, and in it's place was a lot of popping and draining. I know, TMI, right? I was a little concerned, because there was blood (again, TMI?) coming out of my ear, so I made an appointment with my doctor on Friday. Turns out I ruptured my left eardrum, and have double ear infections. I was sent home with a script for antibiotics, and was told it would take about 24-48 hours before I felt better. Well, my doctor lied. While I have no pain, I have lost hearing in both my ears. I can hear some things, but if I leave the room, I can't hear anything from the room I was just in. I've looked online, and have read that it could be 2 weeks to 2 months for complete healing. I'm really hoping this is not the case. I've decided that I'll finish the next two days of antibiotics, but if my hearing isn't improving I'm going to make an appointment with an ENT. I'm not messing with my hearing. Anyone else experience a ruptured eardrum before?

So, all of that to say that I'm terribly behind with updates. I have photos from our trip to Maine to share and updates on the little Miss, including her first Valentine's Day and her 8 month update...she hit the 8 month mark last Thursday. It is so hard to believe she is already 8 months old! It is definitely bittersweet.

I'm hoping to blog these updates tomorrow. But for now, I need to finish my tea, and get some much needed rest.

I will, of course, leave you with a little something to tide you over until then...

1 comment:

Staci said...

OMG! I am so sorry to hear about you. I have never had a ruptured ear drum, but I have heard that it is really painful. I don't have any suggestions on the hearing aspect-I wouldn't mess with it either. I would do the exact thing as you and see an ENT soon. I am sorry that everyone in your family has been sick. It seems like so many people we know are sick with ear infections! Glad to hear that they are better. I am really worried about you. Can't wait to see pictures. The picture you posted is PRICELESS!