Friday, January 24, 2014

Five Minute Friday: Visit



I'm joining up with Lisa Jo Baker and some amazing women for Five Minute Friday. One word. Five minutes. No editing. Learn more HERE.

Today's word is:

VISIT

--------------
Sometimes I visit the past. My past. I try to remember the details of the memories of times gone by. I used to be better at recalling those details. Maybe too good at it, as I would often proliferate on those tiny details. Now, with the 24 hour-a-day task of parenting two young children, the details become a little fuzzy.

But sometimes those memories come back to visit me, like long-lost friends. And the details feel fresh and vivid in my mind. Like passing notes to my sister in between a crack in the wall of our two bedrooms. The paper folded a hundred times over to fill the space between the walls. The giggling back and forth. Or all the times my parents took us to the beach in the summer. It was a family affair, with the grandparents, aunts, uncles, cousins, and friends. We'd leave early in the morning to be one of the first on the beach in order to claim our preferred spot. Sometimes we were there before the lifeguards arrived, and almost always before the water was warm enough to swim in. Memories of dance parties in the basement of my cousin's house. Cranking the music up to our favorite radio songs and choreographing our own dances. Memories of time spent playing outside, without adult supervision. The neighborhoods were safe back then. We would walk down to the general store with a dollar in our hands, and come back with a brown lunch bag full of candy that would last for days.

Often these memories will arise when I'm driving. Always I think I should keep a journal of sorts, simply to record these memories of mine. Something to look back on, and something to pass on to my children.



1 comment:

Unknown said...

I didn't write notes to my sister, but we did have dance parties. Memories are fun to visit. (coming from FMF)